You will be amazed to see and hear about 4000 years of history of this little-known kingdom, which kept its doors closed to international tourism till a few years back. After about 35 years of non-stop war, this beautiful country is finally re-emerging from the darkness. War of late 60’s destroyed much of the already-struggling economy but it stabilized after a new regime took power in 1979. A series of reforms started in 1992 have seen the country make a steady progress to catch up with times. Cambodia is among the fastest growing economies in the region.
Cambodia conjures up images of a glorious and mysterious history and rich cultural heritage. For most, Cambodia will be synonymous with the great ancient temple city of Seam Riep. Besides the marvelous temple complexes of Angkor Wat and Bantay Srei, a trip to Cambodia is incomplete with a visit to Phnom Penh.
Neighbouring countries: Bordered to the east by Vietnam, to the North by Laos and to the West and North-west by Thailand
Area: 181 035 km2
Population: 15.6 million inhabitants (2015, World Bank)
Religion: Buddhism (official religion, more than 90%), Islam (2.5%), Christianity
Capital: Phnom Penh
Time zone: GMT+7 hours
Currency: Main currency in Cambodia is Riel but US Dollars is.
Best time to go: Cambodia is year round destination. It is generally warm and humid all the time and it rains, generally in the afternoons in short-spells between May and October. December to February is a bit more pleasant when temperatures drop down a bit.
Visa: Visa can be obtained on arrival at the airport or a land border and you’re also required one passport size photo. This process may take at least 20 minutes. If you are arriving in Cambodia by flight, you can get a prior E-Visa through their official website: http://mfaic.gov.kh/mofa/ . You will need to attach a digital photo. Confirmation of E-Visa can take anything from one hour to two working days and this Visa is valid for a stay up to 30 days.
– Make sure your passport is valid with at least 6 months before the expiry date
– Consider medical, baggage and trip cancellation insurance.
– Check with your doctor re vaccinations and medicines needed.
– Hat and sunglasses
– Clothes with covered shoulders and knees for sacred buildings and temples
– Good shoes for trekking and for walks around temples
– Personal First Aid Kit (bring in small amounts and in small containers)
– ID pictures for visa
– At least 30 USD in cash for the visa fee
– Passport and important documents’ photocopies in case of loss
- Highlights: Step back in time to the grandeur of the prosperous Khmer kingdoms of yore. Take an in-depth tour of the temples of Angkor, marvelling at the grandeur of historic thousand-year old temples. Encounter towering monuments of Hindu and Buddhist origins and explore a traditional culture unlike...
- Highlights: Combining the magnificence of the Khmer Empire with lively Phnom Penh, this introduction to Cambodia is the perfect way to get acquainted with this captivating nation. Witness the grandeur of ancient Angkor Wat, see the enigmatic faces of the Bayon, confront the tragedy of the recent past...
- Highlights: Your valuable presence at Siem Reap is Cambodian people’s pride as well as our team. The tour guide will introduce you about Cambodian prestigious heritage including cultural and natural resources. Lighten Travel will bring you to the new taste and real time experience of general...
- Highlights: This 5 days tour includes the best of the Khmer Empire and the great Phnom Penh, which is a best way to discover the real Cambodia life and culture. It covers the amazing temples inside Angkore Thom and Angkor Wat, as well as those essential sites in Phnom Penh.
- Highlights: Cambodia is the mysterious and beautiful land with thousands of Buddhist temples, gorgeous palaces, pristine white sand beaches, and enigmatic tropical rain forests. Enjoy holiday to explore our bustling capital Phnom Penh and peaceful Siem Reap, the gate of Angkor Archaeological Park...